[Phys-l] In-class homework

I realize the very title sounds like an oxymoron. :-)

I'm contemplating a different way of dealing with homework and I wanted
some feedback. I seem to recall some people here mentioning a similar
system, so perhaps I can get some pros and cons from the trenches.

The idea is essentially to assign daily homework but not collect it.
Instead, I would give a 5-10 min "quiz" at the beginning of class based
in the homework. This could simply be definitions of terms from the
chapter, or intermediately difficult problems, or short essays. Perhaps
something like a few FCI-style questions or a context-rich problem.
(Although at a minimum I would randomize the answers in multiple choice
questions or change a few numbers so they have to learn the concept, not
the question).

My plan was to tell them fairly specifically what to expect, then
explain/discuss/model/work sample problems over those topics. Some
question might intentionally be skipped during class, with instructions
to read the book for that info. Before the next class, they have time
to work similar problems, read the book, and discuss with classmates.

One "problem" I am trying to fix is the students who copy homework from
others - to the extent many times of having the same calculation error
or misspelling. (Another problem is the students who saunter in 5-10
minutes late!) It does cut into instruction time, but if they are
engaged for 40 min of instruction (hopefully interactive) rather than
disengaged for 50 minutes, I'll come out well ahead.

I've always disliked the courses where students are given a set of
questions to memorize for an exam and I certainly don't want to go
there. On the other hand, it is easy to be too general ("just know
everything in the chapter").

Is such an approach feasible and effective? Any suggestions for
improvement?

Tim Folkerts