Re: [Phys-l] CFL's not such a hot idea

One thing to keep in mind... I believe the voltage on these CFL's is stepped up from line with some onboard electronics (charge pump or somesuch? I don't know)

In any case, they don't like to be in enclosed fixtures -- They burn up if they are. I learned this the hard way. I reasoned that if I could put a 60W incandescent in a socket, a CFL at <15W should be fine. Not necessarily so... the CFL's need room to breath. (this is in the fine print on most of the CFL boxes if anybody actually reads it... rrrriiiiiiggght!) If I observe this rule, they do seem to live quite a bit longer for me. But (interestingly) they seem not to last as long as they did some years ago... Granted, this is anecdotal, but that won't stop me from drawing cynical conclusions ;)

But then, I'm still a little confused why they can't design a 50 year incandescent bulb... If you know, I'd love to hear, but my suspicion is that it has more to do with the economics of the replacement lightbulb biz than anything else...

Cheers,

Jason