Re: [Phys-l] estimation competition?

John Mallinckrodt wrote:
On Apr 29, 2007, at 8:49 AM, Brian Blais wrote:
I was thinking it would be fun to have a competition in my class estimating various
quantities.

The winning team is the one whose estimate brackets the correct number with the smallest uncertainty.

That's a nice simple way to get a winner, and focuses on the uncertainty rather than the discrepancy, which is also nice. I wonder how one gets the person who comes in second, or third?

How do you compare someone who has a narrow uncertainty window that doesn't bracket the correct number (but possible only nearly misses it), with someone who simply has a wide uncertainty range, which then has a larger chance of bracketing the correct number?

I thought, maybe, looking at the prior odds ratio, assuming the uncertainty is Gaussian. Something like:

compare 1 and 2 = G(estimate 1, uncertainty 1) / G(estimate 2, uncertainty 2)

where G(e,u) = 1.0/sqrt(2*pi*u**2)*exp(-(e-correct)**2/2*u**2)

bb

--

bblais@bryant.edu
http://web.bryant.edu/~bblais