Re: [Phys-l] estimation competition?

On Apr 29, 2007, at 8:49 AM, Brian Blais wrote:

I was thinking it would be fun to have a competition in my class estimating various
quantities. It could be things like fractions of colors or M&Ms, or high and low
temperatures, or whatever. What I would like most is that they report not just the
estimate, but the uncertainty as well. Then I'd like to rank them in some way, and I
am not sure what is the best way to do this.

Intuitively, I want something that has the following properties:
1) for the same uncertainty, larger deviations of the estimate from the actual
yield lower rank
2) for the same estimate, larger uncertainty yields lower rank

Has anyone every tried this? I think it is important to communicate that the
uncertainty in an estimate is every bit as important as the estimate itself.

Perhaps its just an ill-conceived idea. :)

I don't think so at all. Helping students understand the critical nature of error analysis and estimation in scientific work is, IMO, one of the most important things we can do in intro lab.

Accordingly, I strongly recommend an activity described by my colleague, Peter Siegel, in the April issue of The Physics Teacher called "Having Fun with Error Analysis." (TPT, v45, pp. 232-234.) You mention M&Ms so maybe you've already seen it.

Briefly, Peter holds a competition at the first meeting of each lab class in which student teams make measurements to determine the number of M&Ms in a package along with an estimate of the uncertainty. Then the M&Ms are counted. The winning team is the one whose estimate brackets the correct number with the smallest uncertainty. The activity properly mimics the incentives in scientific work for neither overestimating or underestimating uncertainty.

John Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona
<http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm>

and