Re: [Phys-l] E=mc^2 because E=mc^2?

I am distinguishing between AJP & Physics Today on the one hand, and the Phys Rev and RMP journals, which are profeseeionally run on the other. It is not appropriate, IMO, for an editor to treat a journal as his personal fiefdom, especially when dealing with subject matters that are beyond his professional competence; that's what referees are for.
I understand the discretionary role that an editor must assume, but discretion is to be exercised in a professional -as opposed to arbitrary manner.
And, to refer to one concrete example, I consider it arbitrary and unprofessional for an editor to consider the reaction of advertisers to a proposed article.
Regards,
Jack

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Rauber, Joel wrote:

| Hi all-
| AJP refereeing, and I have been one of the referees, is
| a sensitive function of the editor's ignarance and breakfast
| on the occasion he (not she) assigns the referee. AJP, and
| its sister magazines, have been treated as personal blogs by
| their editors, and the credability of their publications is
| much in doubt. We need more oversight and accounatability.
| Regards,
| ` Jack
|
| On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, carmelo@pacific.net.sg wrote:

Jack, I think you are being a little hard on them. Its part of the role
of the editor to do that; and yes a lot no doubt does depend on the
state of digestion of the editor at the moment, but anytime you have
more supply than space in articles this will be the case.

It strikes me that the main moral of your comment is that one should
choose one's editors very carefully, because they are the oversight!

Joel