Re: [Phys-l] Get Aggressive On Global Warming

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Britton" <britton@ncssm.edu>

Is anyone interested in CO2 sequestration?
(being tried in some Scandinavian country IIRC)

I hope so. That is what looks to me to be the most promising of any short term schemes for reducing greenhouse gasses. Solar, wind and biomass are not going to be able to take over the load from the fossil fuels (currently 90% of energy supply world-wide). They can help but as my yearly student project shows, trying to turn just the oil and natural gas usage over to renewables involves millions of large wind generators, 10s of thousands of square miles of solar collectors, 100s of thousands of square miles of farmland and trillions of dollars of capital expenditures. The fact that there is probably enough fossil fuel for 2-300 more years (at about double today's cost) and the fact that the infrastructure is already in place for its use, suggests that figuring out how to use the stuff with minimal emissions is probably a more prudent way to go at this point in time. Doing so will give us enough time to either pare down the world population to something that can be sustained with acceptable damage to the environment or else to really figure out some new energy source--maybe even fusion (was it this list where somebody described fusion as 'The Energy of the Future--always was, always will be!"

Rick