Re: [Phys-l] Get Aggressive On Global Warming

On Apr 18, 2007, at 2:28 PM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:
I find this to be hilarious. Human Induced Global Warming advocates
predicted that hurricanes were going to become more powerful and
frequent - the reality was that last year was almost a record low for
hurricanes. So now the focus is on the recent Nor'Easter - we have to
have SOME kind of disaster to rally the troops - even an ordinary storm
will do if you're desperate :-)

Bob at PC

Actually last year I believe we had an unusually long el nino which
supposedly suppressed hurricane activity. This year's el nino was
weak and is long gone (early) so time will tell very shortly. If they have
the el nino contribution figured out, it explains 2006 activity and predicts
a rough ride for 2007.

<http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070403172305.htm>
and environs suggests that 2005 (Katrina et al) was a season 275% of
average, and 2007 will be 185% of average, where 2006 just
about fits on the long term average.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Associate Professor of Physics, SUNY-Buffalo State College
222SciBldg BSC, 1300 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo NY 14222 USA 716-878-3802
<macisadl@buffalostate.edu> <http://PhysicsEd.BuffaloState.edu>