Re: [Phys-l] Help with particle physics preparations...

In my modern physics class this term we have rearranged (and eliminated)
topics a bit, so I find myself with a few extra days to play with. With
it we are delving into particle physics and the standard model. This is
not a topic I ever studied in depth as a student, so I am learning a LOT!

In preparation for our discussion of quarks I am reminded of a question
that has haunted me since I first learned about quarks. I figured the
good folks at Phys-l would be willing to help out. Here it is

The strange, charm, top and bottom quarks all have their own quantum
numbers, while the up and down quark do not. It is quite possible that
there is no "why" here, since all of these conservation laws are
empirically derived from what we observe in particle reactions and
decays. Is there any other way to describe why this is?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jeff

The strange, charm, top and bottom quarks do not have their own quantum
numbers.

There are three generations of quarks and leptons. The first corresponding to our everyday world comprises the u,d quarks and the electron and its neutrino. When the first element of the second generation- the muon was discovered I. I. Rabi asked "Who ordered that. The second generation comprises the c, s quarks and the muon and its neutrino. The third generation comprises the b, t quarks the tauon and its neutrino. Each generation is identical in quantum numbers to the proceeding one. Only the masses of the particles are different. Both Cosmology and the decay of the Z boson indicate that there are no more than three generations. Sacharov was the first to realize the reason why three generations are required. In the Standard model, you can only get violation of the combined Charge reflection C and Parity reflection - combined -> CP violation with at least three generations. This violation means that in the VERY early universe VERY occasionally one extra particle is created. during normal interactions of radiation and matter. Normally at that stage there are equal numbers of particles and antiparticles so that you would end up with a universe comprising only of radiation. Sacharov pointed out that only because of CP violation do we have a universe containing matter.
--

Best wishes

Calvin

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/ Calvin S. Kalman, P. Phys. Phone: (514) 848-2424 xt 3284
_/ Professor,Department of Physics Fax: (514) 848-2828
_/ Fellow, Science College
_/ Member, Centre for the Study of Learning and Performance
_/ Concordia University
_/ Montreal, QC H4B 1R6 Calvin.Kalman@Concordia.ca
_/
_/ Also Adjunct Professor Department of Educational
_/ and Counseling Psychology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
_/ _/ homepage- http://physics.concordia.ca/faculty/kalman.html
_/
_/ Information on my book, "Successful Science and Engineering
_/ Teaching in Colleges and Universities" Go to:
_/ http://www.josseybass.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1933371161,descCd-description.html
_/