[Phys-l] Help with particle physics preparations...

In my modern physics class this term we have rearranged (and eliminated) topics a bit, so I find myself with a few extra days to play with. With it we are delving into particle physics and the standard model. This is not a topic I ever studied in depth as a student, so I am learning a LOT!

In preparation for our discussion of quarks I am reminded of a question that has haunted me since I first learned about quarks. I figured the good folks at Phys-l would be willing to help out. Here it is

The strange, charm, top and bottom quarks all have their own quantum numbers, while the up and down quark do not. It is quite possible that there is no "why" here, since all of these conservation laws are empirically derived from what we observe in particle reactions and decays. Is there any other way to describe why this is?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jeff

--
Jeff Loats, Ph.D.