Re: [Phys-l] pinhole camera

Anthony Lapinski asked about pinhole camera activities.

What I do almost every time I teach Introductory Astronomy (for non-science majors at the freshman college level) is to use a pinhole mirror to make a solar display. I make a rather large hole in the center of a piece of paper (by folding the paper in half and cutting a 0.5 cm-on-a-side triangle out of the folded side). Then I tape the paper over a flat mirror. By moving the mirror just right I can project the image of the Sun into a cardboard box (so the area is somewhat darker where the image will be projected) with white paper at the back or even into the hallway through an open door. One can see large sunspots this way. I like this since it amazes students that so large of a hole will work. Then I use the opportunity to discuss the relative sizes of the Sun and the hole and then we do a calculation to find the distance to the Sun from the ratio of the size of the Sun to the size of the Sun's image and multiplied by the distance from the mirror to the image.

During solar eclipses I have also used a pinhole camera made with a needle hole in a piece of foil taped to one end of an oatmeal box and a piece of waxed paper taped in place of its lid. Elementary school kids liked this one a lot. But make sure that they do not look directly at the Sun.

Richard Bowman
Bridgewater College, VA, USA