Re: [Phys-l] uncovering MS-Word document info

Don't you require a journal or lab. notebook? -- Industry requires one for the same reason that student should have one.

bc, perused the advanced lab. students' when he assisted in grading.

Zajac, Richard wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions for extracting additional document info
from a MS-Word document?

Let me explain:
Next week we will be convening an honor hearing to deal with a student who
submitted a lab report by e-mail, only to find that the file he submitted
still had someone else's name on it (a previous student), along with a
previous semester's date.

The student claims to have used someone else's file only as a formatting
aid, that he forgot to change the header info, and that the text and data
are in fact his own work.

By opening the file under the "recover all text" option in Word, I can find
a wealth of file information beyond what is generally listed in the Document
Properties, such as previous file names and directories, none of which is
conclusive. Is there more information that can be extracted from the
non-text content of the file?

RZ.