[Phys-l] ACS embargo

I find it not surprising that the AIP refused to embargo, and that the ACS embargoes.

The American Chemical Society (ACS) <http://www.acs.org/> has once again pioneered, under its "zealot" interpretation of "embargo" by Department of Treasury's Office of Foreign Asset Control, by terminating membership of its long-time members in Iran; many of these members are past Ph.D. Alumni of American universities. Several years ago, the ACS undertook a similar unilateral measure, unprecedented by other sister professional societies, and under the same law, when it unilaterally stopped accepting scholarly and research manuscripts from Iranian scientists for the three dozen periodicals in its publication division.

"... Paradoxically, and as in the past, the American Physical Society in contrast states, 'We have NO plan to do anything similar, and continue to serve our members in Iran.' Judy Franz of the APS further stated that, "We would resist having to obtain a license to the extent we can.'"

A persian site:

http://www.payvand.com/news/07/apr/1057.html

Radical left version [Possibly the same, I'm lazy.]

http://www.counterpunch.org/rahni04072007.html

bc, to quote the IP, amused