Re: [Phys-l] God's reaction to prayers simply can't be explored by scientific...

In a message dated 3/31/2007 3:15:45 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
hhaskell@mindspring.com writes:

At 10:06 -0600 3/31/07, Brian Whatcott wrote:

I was interested to examine my reaction to this story. I noticed
that rationalizing the outcome was relatively fast for me.
And I laughed: people do indeed rationalize any result that gives
rise to conceptual conflict.

That certainly is a natural tendency, but I wouldn't say that it
always happens. If it did, how would anything new ever get accepted?

However, it is certainly true that the religious ones were quick to
attempt to rationalize these results, just a quick as they are to
trumpet results which purport to show the efficacy of prayer.

If anyone here is moved to explore or teach the possibility of
mounting such a research effort in future, may I suggest that the
crucial measure would better be an outcome that may be altered
by ordinary human activity rather than a result that calls for a
miracle?

It does seem to me to be pretty hard to demonstrate something like
the efficacy of prayer by any sort of double-blind research
technique, since isolating the subject of the experiment will be
nearly impossible, if not completely impossible. If God listens to
all prayers, then that must include even those submitted outside of
the study, and presumably, God would know which of those prayers were
truly devoted to the desired outcome and which were pro-forma parts
of the study and take appropriate action. So I would have to agree
that seeking effects that are dependent on human or other natural
causes are much more likely to be verifiable.

A reminder: a virtue of people with spiritual extension is that
they are led to be more kind, more loving, more generous, more
forgiving of transgressors - such social positives that one would
rationally wish such elements of faith to be propagated even if
one could know quite surely there was no basis to the Divine
spirit to which they appeal.

I guess I would be But in any case, I doubt that there is much
correlation between the core beliefs of people and the presence of
kind, loving or more generous actions. Many atheists are kind and
loving, and there are many who profess high religious calling who are
quite mean-spirited. One fact is well-known: our prisons are
populated by atheists in a much lower proportion than their presence
in the general population would imply. One can make of that what one
will.

If one accepts this construction of faith, it is not fanciful to
realize that people exposed to negative human relations may
easily be damaged, and that people in kinder relations can be
invigorated.

I'm not sure what this has to do with faith. It does seem to be true
that people raised in a kind and loving environment are more likely
to be kind and loving adults, but it is much less clear that
religious faith has any bearing on this fact.

Here's a less than scientific example of faith-based intervention.
It is found that drug-offenders (and others) who are exposed to
local faith-based support groups (driving them to Narc-Anon
meetings,finding them small easements etc...) have a better
recidivism rate than prisoners not so supported.
(The recidivism rate can be truly ruinous,
to them and to the rest of us: 80% and higher; the supported
recidivism rate can be surprizingly better, 15% and lower...)

I would certainly like to see the evidence for these statistics.
Intervention vs. non-intervention might well have such effects if
they are well designed, but I would question that such huge
differences would appear between faith-based and non-faith-based
interventions.

Hugh
--

))))))))))))))

Maybe god is just a big prick. He is so hidden you know. I share with Vic
Stenger the notion that the god hypothesis is amendable to scientific study.

Bob Zannelli

)))))))))))))))

_http://www.mukto-mona.com/Special_Event_/Darwin_day/supernatural_science30010
6.htm_
(http://www.mukto-mona.com/Special_Event_/Darwin_day/supernatural_science300106.htm)

))))))))))))))

My university of Hawaii colleague at the time, the eminent philosopher Larry
Laudan, had been one of the strong voices disputing Popperian falsifiability
as a workable demarcation criterion for science. When the Arkansas decision
was announced, Laudan objected strenuously. He pointed out that creation
science is in fact testable, tentative, and falsifiable. For example, it predicts
a young Earth and other geological facts that have, in fact, been falsified.
Falsified science can still be science, just wrong science. Laudan warned
that the Arkansas decision would come back to haunt science by "perpetuating
and canonizing a false stereotype on what science is and how it works."
Coming up-to-date, we similarly find that ID is testable, tentative, and
falsifiable. For example, William Dembski asserts a “law of conservation of
information” which implies that information cannot be generated by natural
processes. This is provably wrong. Information is negative entropy and the second
law of thermodynamics allows for the entropy of systems interacting with their
environments to decrease and thus information to increase naturally. Michael
Behe's examples of "irreducible complexity" have similarly been refuted.