Re: [Phys-l] God's reaction to prayers simply can't be explored by scientific study.

At 09:25 PM 3/30/2007, BC, you wrote:

MSNBC - In the largest study of its kind, researchers found that having
people pray for heart bypass surgery patients had no effect on their
recovery. In fact, patients who knew they were being prayed for had a
slightly higher rate of complications. . . Critics said the question of
God's reaction to prayers simply can't be explored by scientific study.

The work, which followed about 1,800 patients at six medical centers,
was financed by the Templeton Foundation, which supports research into
science and religion. It will appear in the American Heart Journal.

More:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12082681/

bc, doesn't pray.

I was interested to examine my reaction to this story. I noticed
that rationalizing the outcome was relatively fast for me.
And I laughed: people do indeed rationalize any result that gives
rise to conceptual conflict.

If anyone here is moved to explore or teach the possibility of
mounting such a research effort in future, may I suggest that the
crucial measure would better be an outcome that may be altered
by ordinary human activity rather than a result that calls for a
miracle?

A reminder: a virtue of people with spiritual extension is that
they are led to be more kind, more loving, more generous, more
forgiving of transgressors - such social positives that one would
rationally wish such elements of faith to be propagated even if
one could know quite surely there was no basis to the Divine
spirit to which they appeal.

If one accepts this construction of faith, it is not fanciful to
realize that people exposed to negative human relations may
easily be damaged, and that people in kinder relations can be
invigorated.

Here's a less than scientific example of faith-based intervention.
It is found that drug-offenders (and others) who are exposed to
local faith-based support groups (driving them to Narc-Anon
meetings,finding them small easements etc...) have a better
recidivism rate than prisoners not so supported.
(The recidivism rate can be truly ruinous,
to them and to the rest of us: 80% and higher; the supported
recidivism rate can be surprizingly better, 15% and lower...)

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!