Re: [Phys-l] rainbow

At 04:11 PM 3/27/2007, Julie Quah, you wrote:

Dispersion of white light occurs due to different refractive index of each
coloured light. How does that explain the different rainbow colours
observed? Is it because each light enters the eye at different time?

The refractive index is a convenient way of describing how media
bend light rays. It's quite a trick to prevent a lens from bending
light rays of different colors (and hence frequencies) by different
angles. Newton noticed that an ordinary prism did split a ray of
sunlight entering his digs at the window, by different angles
and so into various colors.

You will notice that diagrams of eye sensitivity cover a color band
of frequencies in a range of less than 2:1. We do not see light of
frequencies lower than the deep red, but we can still feel the
heating effect. We cannot see light far past the ultra blue
but we can feel its heat and see the reddening and tanning
it provides our skin.

It's an interesting question to ask how the eye distinguishes
lights of various colors. The color sensors we use for day
vision can respond to light centering on three frequencies
(and colors). The handling of these inputs in the optical
processing part of the brain uses ratios of two or three
of these sensor signals to deduce the color - though this
is an oversimplification of the pre-processing that in
fact occurs.

Animal studies demonstrated that there are signals responding
to lines of particular angles, moving in particular directions
and so on....

In general, light of different colors can arrive at the eye
together and still be associated with a color

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!