Re: [Phys-l] what kind of scientific suppression is this?

At 03:29 PM 3/24/2007, Jeff Loats, you wrote:

In reading this discussion I saw an argument that I have seen
many times in the global warming debate. Here it is:

Rick Tarara wrote:
> But it has now become in the self-interest of ....scientists
> to push .....scenarios that get them more funding.

is... this is really a valid argument. [?] ///
What say you? Am I naive, or missing some major point here?

Jeff Loats

Though American, I was foreign born. So it was easy for me to
believe that in the US, everything has its price: that the civil
service tends to corruption: that scientists have faked
results and will again. That business can suppress inconvenient
science results.

That there is no constitutional or societal conscience in evident
operation. That there is a governmental bias to business: that
labor laws for example institutionalize the slave ethic,
with "fire at will" being the default manpower regulatory mode.

The State can strike pre-emptively (formerly known as the
Pearl Harbor syndrome) and we can nod at state-sponsored
torturers. Have we no shame?

In more reflective humor, I would rather suppose individuals
are capable of perfidious falsification, but not the entire
echelon of a science specialty.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!