Re: [Phys-l] what kind of scientific suppression is this?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bernard Cleyet" <bernardcleyet@redshift.com>

Suffice it to say that both
extremes of the Global warming debate have played hard and fast with the
facts, that governments (all) tend to shape those same facts to their
purposes,

examples (on the sky is falling side) please.

Al Gore--and those who overemphasize worst-case scenarios (basically scare tactics). No balance, one-sided arguments that ignore completely other learned opinions.

and despite the illusion of unanimity on the issue amongst
scientists, we need only look to this list to see that many here are not so
ready to get on board the 'humans are destroying the planet' express.

It's the unanimity ? of the climate scientists that counts, IMAO.

But it has now become in the self-interest of the climate scientists to push Global Warming scenarios that get them more funding. The problem with much of the 'science' is that it rests on computational models--models that are so complex that virtually no two variations tend to agree. Don't get me wrong, that's not really a fatal flaw in the work, but it is one that injects a real sense of unertainty both in the predictions from and cause of the actual data.

Worse than the pop. rise is the huge increase in the prosperity in the
former third world, which will increase disproportionally the CO2
emission, etc.

Of course, and a 25-50% roll back by the U.S., Europe, and Japan won't mean zip if China and India fully develop the fossil energy resources.

bc, who wonders the result of the trade off in the new use of a
mechanical dish washer instead of the bc one.

Well you can always go live with the Amish. It should be self evident that a 'modern, 21st century life-style (standard of living)' involves a lot of energy use. While we should work towards being efficient in that use and eliminating truly wasteful uses, the history of human progress strongly suggests that we really need to focus on providing much MORE energy for human use, but with minimal environmental consequences. That is a tough, but not impossible, job. {BTW: Try figuring out how many people could be supported (world-wide) by Amish farming techniques and you'll come to understand why we can't turn the clock back. Besides, the 'good old days' seldom if ever were!

Rick