Re: [Phys-l] what kind of scientific suppression is this?

Can we take all the political bashing of the right and left off this list--take it to PHYSOC if you must (far left liberals are very welcome there and conservatives even tolerated). Suffice it to say that both extremes of the Global warming debate have played hard and fast with the facts, that governments (all) tend to shape those same facts to their purposes, and despite the illusion of unanimity on the issue amongst scientists, we need only look to this list to see that many here are not so ready to get on board the 'humans are destroying the planet' express. {A good friend, initially trained as a physicist to the masters level then turned air/water pollution engineer, is an extreme skeptic.}

There was, recently an interesting discussion on PHYSOC about the much touted announcement by the EU about commiting to more stringent CO2 controls. Apparently such is mostly illusion (with only GB actually doing anything) due to a lot of technical and statistical shuffling of the numbers. Turns out that little new (or old) is actually being done in Europe at all.

Another example of playing with numbers (this time to bash the U.S.) was the recent report that the U.S. was expected to increase emissions by 20% from 2000-2020 (not counting any possible [probable] new initiatives to be taken in the next 13 years.) Check out the expected population rise in that period--seems to me that a 20% increase in emmisions represents a NET reduction in emissions per person, even without taking any explicit steps towards a 'cleanup'. Of course that was NOT reported.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College