Re: [Phys-l] Work done by Static Friction

On Mar 15, 2007, at 7:53 AM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:

... Brian makes a point that might be what the texts are alluding to. He
shifted the question to what the stationary road is doing to the tires.
Here we have a static frictional force (with no displacement of road or
bottom of the tire) being applied - and an associated acceleration of
the truck. No one would argue in this case that the road was doing work
that resulted in the KE of the truck - the engine is ultimately the
source of the motion.

I would. I'm not saying there isn't room in my philosophy for this point of view. One *can* calculate what some call the "center of mass work" done by the road and properly set it equal to the change in bulk kinetic energy of the truck. But I find it somewhat distasteful to say that the KE of the truck was the "result" of work done by the road.

Better, in my view, to focus on the fact that the road provides a constraint and, as a result, an impulse that directly changes the momentum of the truck. Unlike the center of mass work and the associated change in kinetic energy, the impulse provide by the road and the (equal) change in momentum of the truck are independent of the choice of reference frame and, as a result, more justifiably viewed as physically connected.

John Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona
<http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm>

and