Re: [Phys-l] battery redux and again (part deux)

From: John Denker <jsd@av8n.com>

For example, I would be tempted to "explain" that the
Fairy Godmother comes down and puts some charge in her Easter
basket, carries it to the other terminal, and dumps it out.

[snip]

I think it is important for students to know
what is science and what is not.

As a high school teacher, I often reach a point where the material is too hard for the students or is mostly in another discipline. I try to sketch what is going on anyway, but I often have to say, "You'll get more of this in chemistry (or biology)."

Other times, like when trying to explain how a battery works or a power supply, I preface the discussion with, "By a P2C2E..." which my students know means, "By a process too complicated to explain..."

Marc "Zeke" Kossover

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.