Re: [Phys-l] Disc polarizability

Jerry!

Panzer(s). However, my interest is w/ the E direction parallel w/ the disk, and more importantly the derivation. The latter only for my curiosity. Having a reasonable expression will allow me to derive the index of an array of discs at very low (compared to optical) frequencies.

bc, used emu and esu units in the 50's, not since, and suspects JF got his answer from a text BSI, and (bc) let the cat outa the bag.

Jerry Franklin wrote:

For a disc, perpendicular to a field E, there is an induced surface charge
(in gaussian units) sigma=+E/4 pi on one face and minus that on the other.
The dipole moment for this charge distribution is sigma X A X t for area A and
thickness t of the disk. This gives p=sigma X Volume=E V/4pi.
Thus the polarizability is Volume/4pi in gaussian units. _______________________________________________
Forum for Physics Educators
Phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu