Re: [Phys-l] History of Current Flow

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Abineri" <dabineri@fuse.net>
To: <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2007 12:10 PM
Subject: [Phys-l] History of Current Flow

I have always presumed that the issue of conventional current flow came
about because of lack of known details about atomic structure during the
early days of electricity, which may be a poor assumption on my part.

My understanding is that Benjamin Franklin conceived of one kind of charge, so there were three possible states: an excess of that charge (+), a normal amount of charge, or a deficiency of charge (-). Charge would naturally flow from a place of excess (+) to a place of deficency (-). I can't swear to the truth of that, but it makes sense.