Re: [Phys-l] Visit to Chernobyl

At 14:24 -0800 2/12/07, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

thanks, tho still an interesting site as Wiki admits.

bc

Price Daniel S. wrote:

Her blog has been largely debunked.

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elena_Filatova

Largely debunked?

The issue, according to the Wikipedia article, seems to be did she actually ride her motorcycle through the region or did she go by some other means? Although, her implication that she did might cause one to question some of her other claims, it hardly amounts to "largely debunked."

I have looked at most of the videos on the original web page, and only one or two are relevant to how she made it through Chernobyl, and one of them clearly states that the vehicle was not her motorcycle, and the other states that she rode in a car as part of a tour.

So I think the issue is the accuracy of her claims about what happened at Chernobyl and not how she got into the exclusion area or what her mode of transportation was. The claims she makes have been made by others, and contradict official pronouncements. However, all governments have lied to the press, the public and their legislators about the effects of various nuclear matters over the years, so I don't think that the Soviet government or its successors in that area have much credibility to offer either. Most of the necessary data was either not gathered at all, or, where it was, has not been released, so assessing the truth of what happened at Chernobyl and its long-term effects is almost impossible.

Estimates of the deaths to date and of projected deaths from the Chernobyl radiation vary over several orders of magnitude, and without reliable information about the amount and types of radiation released and how it was distributed, it will be difficult to reduce those error bars.

My personal guess is that the toll is not likely to be quite as great as the highest estimates, it is more likely to be closer to those than to the low-ball estimates publicly made by various government agencies.

Elena Filatova is not making claims on her own. She is using those of others who have at least made a stab at the estimates, uncertain as those may be. As the Wikipedia article points out, it is difficult to stage the sights of the ghost town that once was Pripyat. those pictures pretty much speak for themselves.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

Hard work often pays off after time. But Laziness always pays off now.

February tagline on 2007 Demotivator's Calendar