Re: [Phys-l] FW: universal gravitation lab

Hi,

We do OK with reducing vibrations. Our balance is mounted on a 3-4 ft high column, which is constructed of 1 ft cubes of concrete separated by vibration damping pads (like McMaster-Carr part # 5998k4 www.mcmaster.com)

Once, I poured a 6" thick pad on concrete on top of a small Steelcase desk. I had planned to add vibration damping pads between the concrete and the desk, but the faculty member was happy without this addition for his atomic force microscope. ( I made a form, placed it on the desk, and mixed up seven bag of concrete mix. I figure it is 350-400 lb) The story is if you can decouple a little bit from the source of vibrations, mass usually helps.

One could also try the methods in John Strong's classic, "Procedures in Experimental Physics".

Thanks
Roger Haar U of AZ Physics

Paul Lulai wrote:
Man, I hated the execution of the Cavendish experiment. Not only come
in at night *but also* try to time the buildings HVAC system to get a
good run... Arrgh.

Paul Lulai
Physics Instructor & Online Learning Coordinator
Saint Anthony Village Senior High School, ISD 282
3303 33rd Avenue N.E.
Saint Anthony Village, MN 55418
(w) 612-706-1144
(fax) 612-706-1140