From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Bwillard1912@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2007 9:19 PM
To: phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
Subject: [Phys-l] Students create a new approach to AP Physics

Greetings colleagues,
I am new to this listserv, and would like to comment on an interesting
scenario which took place recently. In a moderately sized AP Physics
Course, my
students announced to me they were not interested in receiving
Placement Credit in Physics, for college.
This amazed me, because I felt the major purpose of an AP class was to
complete a comprehensive study of Physics concepts sufficient enough
exempt
classes at the college level.
The students enlightened me to the logic that many of their
contemporaries
are now adopting. The students TAKE the AP classes to obtain a higher
HIGH
SCHOOL GPA, thus increasing odds for higher scholarships and
acceptance
to the
top colleges of their choices. In the process, they obtain
significant
knowledge of Physics, enough to have a more-than-average chance to
pass
the AP
Exam.
They do not want to exempt out of the first year Physics course;
instead,
they WANT to take it, thinking it will be an easy 'A' because of what
they
learned in the High School Class. They take the College level class,
and
make an
'A' in it because of the knowledge they've obtained in the HS course;
they
have an easier load during the first year at college, and the 'A'
affecting
the COLLEGE GPA.
When the AP Exams of my students were returned to me, those students
who
followed this course of action had attempted no problems in their exam
booklets.
Their logic is impressive; they have designed a system to benefit them
in
both worlds... high school and college. The AP Physics results from
my
school
were significantly lowered because of this action plan.
Bill Willard
NBCT
Seneca, SC