Re: [Phys-l] Students create a new approach to AP Physics

At 21:18 -0500 2/11/07, Bwillard1912@aol.com wrote:

The students enlightened me to the logic that many of their contemporaries
are now adopting. The students TAKE the AP classes to obtain a higher HIGH
SCHOOL GPA, thus increasing odds for higher scholarships and acceptance to the
top colleges of their choices. In the process, they obtain significant
knowledge of Physics, enough to have a more-than-average chance to pass the AP
Exam.
They do not want to exempt out of the first year Physics course; instead,
they WANT to take it, thinking it will be an easy 'A' because of what they
learned in the High School Class. They take the College level class, and make an
'A' in it because of the knowledge they've obtained in the HS course; they
have an easier load during the first year at college, and the 'A' affecting
the COLLEGE GPA.
When the AP Exams of my students were returned to me, those students who
followed this course of action had attempted no problems in their exam booklets.
Their logic is impressive; they have designed a system to benefit them in
both worldsŠ high school and college. The AP Physics results from my school
were significantly lowered because of this action plan.

I'm not surprised by this observation. I think that the current thrust of the AP program will engender this attitude among many students. The practice of many high school districts of adding additional points to the GPA for taking "honors" or AP/IB courses also contributes to this.

Unfortunately, for most of them, it won't work. First most colleges that I have been in touch with, pay no attention to the artificially enhanced GPAs, recalculating them in accord with their own criteria. Secondly, students who go into a course expecting an "easy A" usually don't take the course seriously and end up struggling to maintain a C. I have had students of mine fall into exactly that trap. They thought they could take a rest in their college physics course because they did well in their HS AP-course, but they made the mistake of thinking that what they remembered from the previous year was enough. It wasn't. They learned a hard lesson. I hope that they profited from it.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

Hard work often pays off after time. But Laziness always pays off now.

February tagline on 2007 Demotivator's Calendar