Re: [Phys-l] FW: universal gravitation lab

"Interactive Physics" is a commercial product that allows the student to
build a variety of physical situations without any programming knowledge.
http://www.design-simulation.com/IP/index.php <http://www.design-simulation.com/IP/index.php>
Many schools have it, but it can be very expensive.

Arbor Scientific Company has the current version of the software, 30 packs, for $1,995.00. http://www.arborsci.com/Products_Pages/Software/IP2005.aspx <http://www.arborsci.com/Products_Pages/Software/IP2005.aspx> This seems like a great deal of money but if used many times a year, for different situations, this price seems less significant. When comparing prices to lab equipment it does not seem so expensive especially since each student gets an individual experience with the software.

I have nothing against computer activities (see below!) but as a
point of terminology, I'm not sure they ought to be called "lab"
work in physics.

The definition of "lab" seems to have a different implication depending on its use. In my physics class students have four single periods and one double period. The double period is considered lab. As in most High School Physics classes the labs are cookbook style with the students performing an explained activity, taking data, and answering questions. Many times I try to get away from this approach and give my students a challenge or situation that they have to use simulations first, using the interactive physics software, to figure our what will happen in the real life situation. Coming from an engineering background, the use of simulations before launching expensive spacecraft into orbit was a necessity. This is why I believe it is relevant to their futures should they pursue a career in science. What I was looking for when I asked for a Universal Gravitation lab was more of the cookbook approach. There are many labs of this nature in existence but I have not found them for retail and they seem to get passed on by word of mouth or at sharing sessions. I agree that this approach cannot replace hands on lab activities but in the past I had them plot points, as did Kepler with Brahe's data. This showed the students that this task was not easy but it also turned them off to the entire section of physics due to its tedious nature.

Thank you so much for all of your information.

Patricia L. White
Physics/Chemistry Teacher
Manchester Twp. High School
101 S. Colonial Dr.