Re: [Phys-l] Crater Help

At 01:17 PM 2/9/2007, you wrote:
I'm trying to run a lab with some conceptual physics students (freshmen)
about crater formation (crater characteristics and their relationship to
KE/gPE of the "meteorite"), but am having trouble getting anything other
than deeper/less deep craters with heavier/lighter balls. From the talk
on webpages discussing the various incarnations of this experiment, I am
also expecting to get some wider/narrower craters. All of my craters are
almost exactly the width of the balls. I'm using uncompacted flour. Any
hints?
Thanks,

Josh Gates
Stoneleigh-Burnham School
Greenfield, MA

I wanted to say thanks for this splendid experimental question - which
in the space of a handful of responses gave a reference, an expression
for the relation between variables, suggestions for experimental layout
and the crucial depth for the substrate.
Then there was the hint of explosive ejecta, about which too much
cannot be said.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!