Re: [Phys-l] Crater Help

On 02/09/2007 02:17 PM, Josh Gates-fac wrote:
I'm trying to run a lab with some conceptual physics students (freshmen)
about crater formation (crater characteristics and their relationship to
KE/gPE of the "meteorite"), but am having trouble getting anything other
than deeper/less deep craters with heavier/lighter balls. From the talk
on webpages discussing the various incarnations of this experiment, I am
also expecting to get some wider/narrower craters. All of my craters are
almost exactly the width of the balls. I'm using uncompacted flour. Any
hints?

You just need more E.

When the speed is (say) 25,000 mph, the ball will be
completely vaporized, and the vapor (in accordance with
the usual gas laws) will blow out a nice big crater.

There are ways of modeling this phenomenon, including some
that involve flour. This can be highly entertaining. It
can also be kinda dangerous, depending on details. There
is considerable place-to-place variation in legality.