[Phys-l] Crater Help

I'm trying to run a lab with some conceptual physics students (freshmen)
about crater formation (crater characteristics and their relationship to
KE/gPE of the "meteorite"), but am having trouble getting anything other
than deeper/less deep craters with heavier/lighter balls. From the talk
on webpages discussing the various incarnations of this experiment, I am
also expecting to get some wider/narrower craters. All of my craters are
almost exactly the width of the balls. I'm using uncompacted flour. Any
hints?
Thanks,

Josh Gates
Stoneleigh-Burnham School