Re: [Phys-l] Erdos and Rényi. Was: Re: Electrostatics and humidity

Bernard writes:
-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l->bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Bernard Cleyet
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 2:04 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: [Phys-l] Erdos and Rényi. Was: Re: Electrostatics and humidity

George!

According to Wiki, that aphorism is more properly credited to Alfréd
Rényi (Erdos number 1, of course.) not Erdos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Erd%C5%91s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfr%C3%A9d_R%C3%A9nyi

I stand graciously corrected - though I must admit to not being a WIKI user ... too much temptation, much like looking up an unfamiliar word in the dictionary and finding an hour's worth of interesting reading.

"A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into
theorems." -- Paul Erdos (or, perhaps Alfréd Rényi)

Dr. George Spagna
Chair, Physics Department
Randolph-Macon College
P.O. Box 5005