[Phys-l] Electrostatics discharging

I made an accidental discovery when dusting my lab equipment with the Swifter brand cleaning cloths. They work great as advertised picking up and holding a surprising amount of dust rather than redistributing it. I am cheap and decided that one cloth was not quite used enough and set it on the bench for later. A few days later when I picked up the cloth, it released a cloud of dust. I had never connected the action of rubbing the cloth while dusting to why the cloth has an electrostatic hold on the dust. Obvious in retrospect.

Scott

Scott Goelzer
Physics Teacher
Coe-Brown Northwood Academy