Re: [Phys-l] Emissivity and conductivity.

Puzzled? Not for long.

IF
A shiny silver strip is conductive
AND
a conductive strip is poorly emissive (1)
AND
a shiny silver strip is highly reflective
AND
a highly reflective strip is highly emissive (2)
AND
a highly emissive strip is highly absoptive (usually)
THEN
a shiny silver strip is poorly emissive
AND
a shiny silver strip is highly absorptive.
THEREFORE
A shiny side facing an IR emitter gets heated
AND
a shiny side facing a cool ambient does not get cooled
HENCE
a silver strip gets hotter n hotter.

I took assertions one and two to be your understanding. :-)
was I wrong, by any chance?
Oh yes: I blame it on the telegraphic nature of the communication!

Brian W

Bernard Cleyet <bernardcleyet@redshift.com> wrote:
Huh?

Well, if one immerses it, it'll soon be the T of the fire.

bc, puzzled

Brian Whatcott wrote:

I immediately imagine a silver knife blade held up to a wood fire.
Does it really get hotter without limit?

Brian Whatcott Wichita, KS

Bernard Cleyet wrote:
While researching IR on that other list, I discovered tabulated the IR
emissivity of very many materials. My quick anecdotal study leads me to
believe (excluding surface roughness) that good conductors have low
emissivity and visa versa. this is, of course, opposite to
reflectivity, whose classical explanation is more than a century old
(Drude).

Is bc a victim of anecdote?

bc, holding breath.