Re: [Phys-l] Negative kelvin temperatures

If you're near a library, check out the Sci. Am. article on this; rather some time ago. Also a recent one I find 1994.

However, easier: Denker to the rescue, as usual.

http://www.av8n.com/physics/neg-temp.htm

bc, thankful as JD saves him time.

p.s. As bc had heard (read) of neg. temp 50 years ago, he thinks more people should read Sci. Am. Well, maybe not. He thinks Sci Am. is a shell of its former self. Try the Brit. journal New Scientist?

Dan Crowe wrote:

On another list, the claim was made that in a system with a finite
number of energy levels, population inversion implies a negative kelvin
temperature. The following Wikipedia article was cited as evidence:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_temperature
I had never heard this claim of negative kelvin temperature before. My
first reaction is that a system with population inversion is not in
thermal equilibrium, so it doesn't make sense to determine the
temperature of a system based on population inversion. I'm not even
sure that the system has a well defined temperature. Can someone
familiar with this concept please discuss its merits?

Thanks,

Daniel Crowe
Loudoun Academy of Science
dan.crowe@loudoun.k12.va.us