Re: [Phys-l] fun math recurrence

Hi all-
This is a much misunderstood category of problem. It has been the subject of some papers in AJP that should never have been published. I do not, of course, include in that category, my contribution: AJP, 71 (2003) 1320. I once heard that a variety of this problem was on the admissions exam for the University of Tokyo.
See the Feynman Lectures, Sec I-22-6, for an example that gives a correct, but counter-intuitive result, justified, perhaps inadequately, in my paper.
Regards,
Jack