Re: [Phys-l] Final velocity of bullets

It is true. I live in Hermosillo, Sonora, México and I read in the
newspaper, a few years ago, about someone who kill himself by shooting his
gun in a vertical direction. The bullet of his own gun hit his head.

Now _this_ seems exceedingly unlikely to be true. Even if one assumes "perfect" conditions with respect to wind, recoil during fire, etc, one can use the range equation to determine that this gun would have had to been fired within a hair of perfect vertical. Actually, less than a hair, based on the standard range equation: sin(2theta) = Rg/V0^^2

Even assuming that the cross section of the head is based on a 1 meter radius (the range), a very generous assumption, and a muzzle velocity of 300m/s, we get something close to 2theta < 1E-4, where theta is the traditional trajectory angle in range problems. Over the length of the barrel of a pistol (15cm?) this angle subtends a distance from the barrel centerline of about 10-20 micrometers (ballpark). A strand of hair is on the order of 50-100 micrometers thick.

It would take an exceedingly unlikely combination of conditions to make this newspaper account possible. Is there any confirmation?

Stefan Jeglinski