Re: [Phys-l] Final velocity of bullets

Hi all,
according to Jim Carmichael, the firearms expert for the "Outdoor Life" magazine ( a much respected gun authority) a bullet fired vertically upward from either a large caliber handgun (not a .22) or a typical deer rifle (i.e. about 30 cal) will be traveling at about 200 mph when it returns to earth. Considering that we are talking about a chunk of lead that weighs about a quarter of an ounce or so, that's not something I'd care to be hit by anywhere; directly on the top of the skull sounds about as much fun as in the temple,
cheers,
David