[Phys-l] Modeling Workshops at Arizona State Univ next summer

Colleagues:

The course schedule is below, for Modeling Workshops and other graduate
courses in summer 2007 at Arizona State University. These courses are for
lifelong learning for teachers of high school physics, chemistry, physical
science and math, and grade 8 science and math. They are also part of ASU's
Master of Natural Science degree program.

For course descriptions and ASU application info (applying for summer is
easy but can't be done until March 20!), please visit
<http://modeling.asu.edu>
Click on "ASU's grad program for high school teachers ...".

Cheers,
Jane Jackson
-------------

COURSE SCHEDULE for summer 2007:
Two summer sessions: June 11 - 29, July 5 - 31. (Some Modeling Workshops
are July 9 - 27)

MODELING WORKSHOPS: (each is 3 semester hours)
* PHS 530: Methods of Teaching Physics I. Full day Modeling Workshop in
mechanics.
choose June 11 - 29 or July 9 - 27

* CHM 594A,B: Modeling Instruction in High School Chemistry II, I (full day
workshops off-campus)
June 11 - 29 (SECOND semester content)
July 9 - 27 (FIRST semester content)

* PHS 594A,B: Modeling Workshops in 2nd semester physics content.
June 12-30 (CASTLE electricity. Middle school teachers can take,
too)
THURSDAY, July 5 - TUESDAY, July 31 (models of light)

* PHS 534: Methods of Physical Science Teaching/Physical Science with Math
Modeling Workshop
June 11 - 29 (FIRST semester content) (also MTE 598)
July 9 - 27 (SECOND semester content) (its course number will be
PHS 594)

ADVANCED COURSES:
All are in 2nd summer session (4 weeks: THURSDAY, July 5 - Tuesday, July 31)
* PHS 556: Astrophysics
(for high school science and math teachers. (3 credits. Prerequisite:
PHS 550)
* PHS 560: Light and Matter
(for high school physics and chemistry teachers. Uses calculus. (3 credits)
* PHS 598: Leadership Workshop (1 credit) (might be moved to 1st summer session)

------------------
REGISTRATION COSTS:
Arizona teachers: we learned on Jan. 19 that our Arizona Board of Regents
grant is renewed. Thus we have FREE tuition. Reply to
<jane.jackson@asu.edu> if interested.

Out-of-state teachers: Our NSF grant ended, so we don't have financial
assistance for out-of-state teachers, unfortunately. ASU's summer tuition
for out-of-state graduate students is $500 per semester hour. Fees are
$24/summer session. The registration fee for NONcredit (i.e., audit) is the
same: $1500 for a course.

Some schools are willing to pay registration fees for noncredit, but not
for credit. Why not ask them now! If they want you to submit a proposal in
writing, a sample is on our website. Email me if you have a problem.

It might help you get funding if you tell your administrators that the
government of Singapore values modeling instruction so much that they sent
four teachers here last summer to take our modeling workshops, and they are
sending four more teachers this summer! Since the U.S.A. is compared
unfavorably to Singapore in math and science test scores, this shows
Singapore's good judgment.

HOUSING FOR LONG-DISTANCE TEACHERS:
We have excellent apartment housing: about $25/day for a luxurious 'winter
visitor' condo at Winfield Place in upscale Scottsdale, 7 miles north of
the ASU campus, on a bus line (for which the bus stop is right outside our
building!). I can help arrange this and find you an apartment mate, to cut
costs. Also, I can help with carpooling.

Also, each summer for the past 5 years, I've been able to get comfortable
apartment housing within walking distance of campus for $15/day (private
room, private bath). I'll try again this year, if teachers ask me.

Visit <http://modeling.asu.edu> for other helps.

Jane Jackson, Co-Director, Modeling Instruction Program
Box 871504, Dept. of Physics, ASU, Tempe, AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7565 <http://modeling.asu.edu>
For 16 years, the Modeling Instruction Program has been
helping teachers attain knowledge and skills needed
to benefit their students. Modeling Instruction is the
only high school science program recognized as Exemplary
by the U.S. Department of Education.