Re: [Phys-l] Killed by a Falling Bullet? - Myth busters.

I think you are in error in your use of terminal velocity (note that I am able to say this without impugning your intelligence, morality, or taste in fine dining). Terminal velocity usually refers to the velocity at which the "force of gravity", namely mg, is equal to the retarding force (ordinarily viscous) of air. I t refers only to the limiting velocity in
free fall. A meteorite, for example, entering that atmosphere at a supersoning velocity, may remain supersonic until it hits the earth.
Correspondingly, a bullet fired upward at an angle to the vertical may have a velocity exceeding "terminal" by an amount sufficient to exceed terminal until it strikes the earth and the unlucky child in the flight path.
Regards,
Jack