Re: [Phys-l] Killed by a Falling Bullet? - Myth busters.

Two points to add to this thread:

1. I had a good friend that got hit in the shoulder by a bullet that had been fired in the air by a reveler at a 4th of July celebration. It rattled around his insides and ended in his lower abdomen; a very serious injury. Happily he got fixed and recovered fully.

2. I have seen a table put out by Remington for hunters and shooters that gives excellent data on the trajectories of bullets * gives amount of variance from a straight line, changes in velocity and energy, etc. for different ranges. Was a good resource for my introductory students, especially those shooters who "knew" that bullets did not fall because when they aimed at a target, the bullet went straight to it, which opened a discussion of adjusting sights as a function of range.

Cheers,

Rick