Re: [Phys-l] Sample relativity problem giving me fits...

Hi Jeff L.,

Sounds like a nice example problem you have come up with. The time you
need to "dilate" is the time on one clock. If an O frame clock at the
emitter reads zero at the emission event, then, as viewed from the O'
frame at that same instant, in accord with clock desynchronization (the
leading clock trails), an O clock at the absorber would be reading
t_1 = - L_o v / c^2
with L_o = 1.5e8 m and v = .8 c this yields -.4 s.
At the absorption event the O clock at the absorber (as viewed from any
reference frame) reads
t_2 = .5 s .
Hence the change in the reading of the one O clock at the absorber, as
viewed by observers in the O' frame would be
dt = t_2 - t_1 = .9 s .
"Dilate" this to see how much time elapses on the O' clocks as viewed by
O' observers and you get
1.5 s
which is the same result you got the first way you did part b.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Schnick
Saint Anselm College