Re: [Phys-l] workable versus unworkable energy

--- Rick Tarara <rtarara@saintmarys.edu> wrote: SNIP
At the intro, and especially the
general-education level, WORK(ING)
is a very difficult topic for students. Using it as
a basis for
understanding ENERGY will leave many (most) in a
fog!

I disagree. I have used the work(ing), heat(ing), and
radiat(ing) language with HS students for over five
years and found it to enhance their understanding of
conservation of energy and in analysis of a wide
variety of problems. This approach is also consistent
with Bruce Sherwood's methods in his excellent book
and course Matter & Interactions, which I have taken
and heartily recommend to all.

John Barrere
Fresno, CA