Re: [Phys-l] workable versus unworkable energy

At 03:18 PM 1/8/2007, John Denker wrote:
I am reminded of the following wise little poem:

Be very, very careful what you put into that brain,
because you will never, ever get it out again.

-- Paul Jackson

A very good reminder! It surely applies to the way the concept of "heat" is used.

That brings me [John] to the topic of the day, namely the association
of energy with "the ability to do work".

We cannot equate (much less define) energy as the ability to do
work, because that would violate the first or second law of
thermodynamics. For details on this point, see
http://www.av8n.com/physics/thermo-laws.htm#sec-workability

Could some kind soul please explain what John is talking about -- maybe give an example or two.

Jim

J M Green
Email: MailTo:JMGreen@sisna.com
WWW: HTTP://users.sisna.com/JMGreen