Re: [Phys-l] stopping distance

At 07:50 AM 1/5/2007, A Lapinski, you wrote:
Using the Work-Energy Theorem, you can determine how the stopping distance
is related to the car's initial velocity:

W = KE
fd = 0.5mv2
mmgd = 0.5mv2
mgd = 0.5v2

If we assume the brakes "lock" the wheels to create a skid mark, then the
above result shows that the stopping distance does NOT depend on the car's
mass.

However, students tell me and Driver Manuals often state that the weight
of the vehicle IS a factor (heavier = longer stopping distance). In the
above calculation, I am dealing with an idealized case, but in "real-life"
anti-lock brakes change the actual stopping distance depending on the
weight of the vehicle. I've also heard that large trucks have a unique
braking system. Can anyone elaborate on these ideas?

It helps me to suppose that some kinetic energy is dispersed
as work in shearing the tires' footprints.
A heavy vehicle's tire footprint area does not scale directly with
its mass. Heavy vehicles use inflation pressures as high as 80 psi.
The braking friction surfaces are designed not to lock the
wheels excessively or easily.
Hence, I assert that a heavy vehicle can dissipate a smaller
proportion of the vehicle's kinetic energy at the tire/road
contact patch, and less kinetic energy proportionately at
the brake drum or disc.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!