Re: [Phys-l] Force on an accelerating piston

At 10:23 PM 1/1/2007, Jack, you wrote:
As I understand the question, the "gas" is an irrevancy. I think
Dan's question boils down to the following:
In 1 dimension, consider a spring with one end fixed. At time
t=0, apply a constant force to the other end (the "running end", to be
nautical). Describe the subsequent motion of the running end as a
function of time.
Happy New Year and regards,
Jack

Now that's what I call a Physicist's model of the problem, in
the Grand manner!

I was hoping for an adversion to a velocity distribution for a gas
with temperature and pressure. Given a plausible time series of
pressure and temperature for the falling piston, the available
population of molecules with velocity exceeding that of the piston
provides a figure for force on the piston, for input to an iterative
model of the dynamics.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!