Re: [Phys-l] math notation question

At 7:32 PM -0500 12/8/06, John Denker wrote:

My opinions and recommendations:

a) When writing a paper, or writing in my notebooks, I use \nabla^2 in
all cases, in two, three, four, or however-many dimensions.

I see no reason to change symbology when switching from three dimensions
to four. IMHO if you do things right, the same concepts and the same
symbology should work just fine in all dimensions from two on up. This
is a sufficient reason for deprecating the \box form of the d'Alembertian.

I agree with your general principle. But there is a difference between
Euclidean 4-space and hyperbolic Minkowski 4-space where the sign is not
the same on all terms--at least that seems to be the justification at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplacian and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%27Alembert_operator.

Larry