Re: [Phys-l] Reading PER literature

This * is especially disturbing in the lite of the result of NCLB. This am's Morning Show [KPFA & KFCF] included a discussion on std. tests **, NCLB, etc. One of the guests claimed NCLB's purpose was to destroy public ed. [Typical comment from the People's Republic of Berkeley Radio.] Unfortunately, GK lost her keys so I didn't hear his argument. Fortunately, the show is archived and probably available later today.

http://www.kpfa.org/archives/index.php?show=24

** One claimed result is reduction of Social Studies and even Science classes.

bc

John Clement wrote:

Well Shayer & Adey compared using standard tests, and not school grades, so

cut

* If this capability is not used by all of us to try to improve physics and
science education, then we may end up with an outside agency measuring our
students and whipping us the way teachers in public primary and secondary
schools are being whipped by high stakes testing.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I, of course, should not have equated grades w/goodness. Rephrased:
Students from some schools uniformly when transferring obtain better
grades at the receiving school, from others worse, and finally, about ...

much cut