Re: [Phys-l] ADVICE ON LAB EQUIPMENT

John -

Can you give a more specific AJP citation for that? It would be very
helpful to me...

Thanks!

Mike Meyer
Lab Coordinator
MTU Physics Dept.
mrmeyer@mtu.edu

Then there is the alternative of using simulations. There is published
evidence in AJP that simulations actually help students understand the
physical situations better than using real lab equipment. They found that
students who trained on simulated circuits could build real circuits
faster
than students who trained on the real thing.

If you already have the computers simulations are cheap and do not need
ear
plugs. Whether or not these results hold up for other curricula has not
been published. I suspect that interacting with real equipment might be
somewhat beneficial to very advanced students, but detrimental to lower
level students. The inability to discriminate between noise and data
retards the performance of lower level students. So simulations can
remove
a distraction that blocks performance of some students. They also can
show
data that can not be easily acquired in the lab.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I'd vote for the carts with metal tracks. We use the Pasco product.
For
conservation of momentum, carefull students will get a %Error of less
than
5%. I think the vernier tracks can be expanded to be used as an optics
bench. However, I think Pasco sells some less expensive carts (as well
as
some more expensive carts).

With Air tracks you would need an additional power source and ear-plugs.

Paul Lulai
Physics Teacher & Online Learning Coordinator
St. Anthony Village Senior High
Saint Anthony Village, MN
55418
(w) 612-706-1144