Re: [Phys-l] AP on GPA (the other AP)

J Denker writes:

On 12/02/2006 11:32 AM, Josh Gates-fac wrote:

.... everyone was reported to be (I believe...) no
lower than the top 10%;

I was wondering how this "reporting" works in practice.

Suppose there are 400 students in the senior class.
How is the 400th student reported?
a) #40 out of 400 (i.e. falsifying the numerator), or

I think that we were just reported "top 10%" or "top 5%," based on how
our GPAs compared to a reference number. I'm not entirely confident that
our GPAs were even reported. My former teachers on the list can confirm
or deny this.

This is definitely intended for the college admissions folks - not sure if
an accurate reporting of the class rank, accompanied by a letter about the
school, would be met with the same reception. It definitely _is_ a
different reference population than the public school from which I came!

So for consistency, does that mean that for each such magnet
school where everybody is reported in the top 10%, there are
9 diamagnet schools where nobody is reported in the top 10%,
no matter how well they do? That would at least produce
internally-consistent rankings across the full 4000-student
pool.

Haha - I surely hope so, but I surely doubt it :)

Josh Gates
Stoneleigh-Burnham School
Greenfield MA