Re: [Phys-l] Baseball-batting the ball---m or v?

On 12/02/2006 11:07 AM, Dennis Erickson wrote:
A student asked me "which is more important the m or v of the bat,
to hit the ball the farthest?"

Is P (same)or KE(v^2) the answer?

This bat is too heavy for me to swing, said Goldilocks.

This bat is too light to do any good, said Goldilocks.

This bat is just right, said Goldilocks .....

http://www.dltk-teach.com/rhymes/goldilocks_story.htm

More formally, it's called a tradeoff.

Yet more formally, it's called an interior optimum.
-- You don't always find the optimum by extremizing one of the
parameters.
-- (You do for /linear/ optimizations ... but the real world is
not always linear.)